Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Taking Chances

"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?" -Celine Dion


I must say this school year has been an exciting one thus far. I have started many new activities and one can say I have taken chances. With expanding my extracurricular involvement and moving my studies towards a less scientific education I seem to have found where I want to go with my life. Of course I don't have one path I'd like to follow, but I have narrowed down the possibility.

I would love to pursue writing in some way, whether it be journalism or another profession. Writing is something that relaxes me, especially when it is not required by school, which is why I started my blog. During summer of this year I never would have been able to answer whether I'd like to take a science approach to college or, considered by some, to be an easier route and choose to major in a liberal arts topic. I can now answer that question with a firm NO to science.

That response is not related to the fact that I dislike the subject, in fact, I love science and find it very interesting but I realized that I would not enjoy a career in science as much as a job where the conditions greatly vary day to day. Although there are very exciting scientific opportunities, I feel like my high school experience is pointing me towards a world involving writing.

And this brings me to my next point, sometimes the most seemingly unfortunate situations can turn out on top in the long run. In my case, I do not have a science class this year due to my difficult array of classes but it made me focus on what I want to do and opened my eyes to the Journalism class at my school. It is amazing how things always have a bright side to them with some positive thinking.

Back on track, with more "artsy" classes such as Play Production, Dance and Journalism I can now firmly say I would love to do something more towards that field but can almost rule out being a professional actor.


Now onto the topic of "Taking Chances", let's see if I can come up with a few instances where I have done this recently.

-Choosing to take Dance regardless of what others opinions would be.

-Staying true to myself despite others constant critiques.

-Letting my voice be heard and not being afraid of speaking out.

I guess I haven't necessarily taken THAT many chances but now I shall sum up the whole point of this blog post.


When you take chances, it almost always works out best for you in the long run. I seem very satisfied with my life right now and my outlook with the next two years in high school. Of course, one must always remember to expect the unexpected but I have faith that it will all work out for me.

One Geek,

Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment